Pumpkin Soup with Cranberry Apple Relish
Write a review
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 28 oz. pumpkin puree
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (fresh grated, if you have it)
For the Relish
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy stock pot. Add in bay leaf, celery, onion, salt & pepper. Cook until tender (about 6 or 7 minutes).
- Sprinkle the flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce over the top. Stir and cook for a minute longer. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil.
- Whisk in the pumpkin. Simmer for at least 10 minutes to thicken.
- While the soup cooks, prepare the relish. In a bowl, combine the apple, onion, lemon juice, cranberries, chili powder, honey and cinnamon.
- Stir the cream and nutmeg into the soup. Reduce the heat to low until you are ready to serve it up.
- Top each bowl of soup with a big spoonful of relish before serving.
- Serves 8 as a starter.
Be Healthier You https://behealthieryou.com/