Healthy Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe (Vegan)
Write a review
- 2 14-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cup (about ½ of a 14-ounce can) organic pumpkin puree
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons high-quality vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (I use Real Salt)
- Suggested topping: chopped pecans and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. I use a blender, but you could whisk this by hand if desired. Make in your ice cream maker according to the appliance instructions. In mine, I pull the freezer bowl out right before I use it. Turn on the assembled ice cream maker, and pour the mixture in. Roughly 20–25 minutes later, you've got ice cream! It will be more of a soft-serve texture at this point, and if you prefer that, it’s ready to eat. For a scoop-able ice cream texture, freeze it in a double-walled ice cream container overnight. Keeps in the freezer for about a week.
Healthy cooking tips
- - Pumpkin spice actually doesn't have any pumpkin in it, it's a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove that is premixed to flavor pumpkin pie. When buying pumpkin spice, read the label just like anything else and don't buy spices that contain fillers or preservatives. The only ingredients in pumpkin spice should be cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and clove.
- - Use only 100% real maple syrup (none of that pancake syrup, it's mostly corn syrup), and real organic pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling, which is loaded with sugar; whereas the only ingredient in pumpkin puree is pumpkin.
- - Use full-fat coconut milk, as the reduced fat won’t freeze well (plus, the healthy fats are good for you.)
Vegan Ice Cream Tips
- - When using an ice cream maker, the freezer bowl must be in the freezer for at least 24 hours before using it. Do not try to skimp on time here—the ice cream will not freeze if the freezer bowl isn't completely frozen, and you’ll end up wasting your time and ingredients.
- - Remove the bowl from the freezer immediately before use; do not let it sit out.
- - Remove the ice cream immediately when done (after about 25 minutes), because if you let it sit in the bowl, it will continue to freeze and get stuck in the bowl. Do not let it sit—transfer it to a double-walled ice cream container immediately and serve or store in the freezer.
Be Healthier You https://behealthieryou.com/