When you hear the word DETOX, you probably cringe a bit, yes?
“If you don’t address inflammation by eating an anti-inflammatory diet, you will never succeed at effective and permanent weight loss”
– Mark Hyman
DETOX is usually synonymous with struggling through a near impossible diet regimen and feeling generally awful while you’re doing it. When in fact, our bodies work hard to detox every single day, and it doesn’t have to be miserable or painful to aid your body in the hard work of detoxifying.
Here are my top 5 tips for a Gentle Detox:
1. Eat local. Eating from your local farmer sources ensures you’re eating what’s in season where you live. Head to your nearby Farmer’s Market and load up on fresh veggies. You can also research joining a CSA (community supported agriculture) to support local farmers AND get in season, local, fresh produce regularly.
2. Eat In Season. Spring is a natural time to detox. Mother nature has it perfectly planned for you to enjoy baby spring veggies that are still nutrient dense, but not as difficult as the Fall harvest to digest. These lighter veggies help you transition from winter hibernating to an active lifestyle. Fruits and berries are light and filled with water and antioxidants, which are an essential part of cleansing.
3. Think Water, Fresh, Raw. Sometimes getting out of the winter rut can be tough, but if you keep these 3 things in mind when grocery shopping, meal planning, and dining out, you’ll be set! Water – drink lots of water. Water helps flush toxins, revitalize your skin, brain, and metabolism. Fresh – eat fresh foods. Not baked, fried, or foods that are heavy and weigh you down. Raw – try to add more raw foods into your diet as they are nutrient dense and aid in detoxification and elimination.
4. Sweat + Move. Sweating is essential to detoxifying your body. When the weather starts to get warmer, your body craves a good sweat and movement. Be sure to plan your workouts and I follow this formula of 3-2-1-1. 3 days of cardio, 2 days of weight training, 1 day of mind-body movement, and 1 day off.
5. Exfoliate Your Skin. Your skin is a major vehicle for detoxification and is the gateway to your lymphatic system (another huge player in detox). Use a dry brush before hopping in the shower to help increase circulation, wake up your lymphatic system, and remove old skin cells. It not only feels amazing but is so good for your entire body.
Have an incredible Spring…